New: Here are all the talks recorded at the Shala on May 29th.
India’s National Interest: Towards Shared Visions
Join us to be part of a community of informed and influential individuals transforming India for the better.
Why? At the Takshashila Institution, we want to create a shared understanding of India’s national interests that can serve as the intellectual bases for public policy. Our events bring high-quality, cutting-edge discussions on strategic affairs, national security and governance to cities and towns across India, creating a platform for dynamic individuals to connect with each other and to the wider policy-making circles.
The Programme: The Takshashila Shala has an innovative, informal format that blends scheduled presentations with spontaneous, even ex tempore talks from participants. Takshashila Fellows will be present to share their research and insights. Throughout the day there will be three parallel tracks on:
1. Foreign affairs, national security and strategy
2. Economics and public policy
3. Politics, citizenship and governance
After the discussions, participants will brainstorm, develop and commit to their own personal action plans on how they will engage in public affairs in the year ahead.
Hot info: Talks, topics & goodies
Monday 30 June, 7pm to 8:30pm,
CMYK Bookstore, Goldfield Enclave, South Main Road, Koregaon Park, Pune
– Nitin Pai will host a discussion centred around Pragati – The Indian National Interest Review and unveil Atanu Dey’s new book “Transforming India – Big ideas for a developed nation”
– Takshashila will sponsor free copies of Pragati for the first 20 participants.
– Shala Extra is open to all (including those who have not registered for the Shala)
Location: Doolally @ 1st Brewhouse, Corinthians Boutique Hotel
6:30pm to 8:30pm
– The good people at Doolally will sponsor the first two beers from their microbrewery to all registered Shala participants. Cheers!
– The wonderful Nakul Shenoy will perform mind reading and perhaps teach it too.
– Shuttle buses have been arranged to and from from Venture Center (Pashan). On the return journey, the buses will stop at a few key points for Shala participants to disembark.
Format and how to make an impactful Shala speech.
Here’s where the participants are coming from. Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai are the top 5 locations.
Here’s the list of scheduled speakers.
Due to an overwhelming response, we have decided to expand & extend the Shala.
1. The main event on Sunday, May 29th 2011, 9:00am to 5:30pm will now take place at Venture Center, NCL Innovation Park, Dr Homi Bhabha Road, Pune – 411008. See their website for directions. This will be followed by the event party at Doolally Microbrewery. Transportation to the party venue will be arranged.
2. On Day Two, Monday, May 30th 2011, 7:00pm-8:30pm we will conduct a books & magazines discussion at CMYK Bookstore, Goldfields Enclave, Row House #4, South Main Road, Koregaon Park, Pune 411001 (map)
The Party: All registered participants are invited to the post-event party — for more spirited discussions — at Doolally, Pune’s first micro-brewery.
Where: Venture Center, NCL Innovation Park, Dr Homi Bhabha Road, Pune 411008
Main Sessions: Sunday, May 29th, 2011. 9:00am – 5:30pm.
Party: Sunday, May 29th, 2011. 6:30pm-8:30pm. (Doolally Microbrewery)
Shala Extra: Monday, May 30th, 2011. 7:00pm-8:30pm. (CMYK Bookstore)
Register now: There are a limited number of tickets available, so register as soon as possible. By registering you undertake to participate in the entire day’s proceedings, and to inform us well in advance in case you are unable to make it. You’ll find the list of attendees towards the bottom of this page.
Other things you need to know:
1. If you’d like to speak, prepare to give a 20 minute talk. No slide presentations please. Participants will decide if they’d like to hear you, so please don’t be disappointed if you are unable to deliver your talk.
2. You are encouraged to write, blog and tweet about the proceedings. The twitter hashtag is #takshashila
3. We intend to webcast the sessions live.
4. Rules of engagement will be made available to all registered participants. You are required to adhere to them.
5. An e-ticket will be emailed to you. You are required to present it at the registration desk on the day of the event.
5. There is no charge/entry fee for participation in this event. You are encouraged to make an appropriate financial contribution to the Takshashila Institution, a public charitable trust, to help us sustain our activities.
6. Registered participants are required to fill in the logistics & meal preferences form, that will be sent by email.
In case your browser settings do not display the ticket registration widget above, you can register here.