Special courses offer an in-depth exploration of one public policy subject. The courses are carefully curated and their unique design make them accessible to students, working professionals and individuals who wish to specialise in a particular subject. The courses combine six thematic online sessions with readings and assignments. Special courses carry two credits and can be taken in addition to other certificate programmes offered by Takshashila.
The first special course is on the rise of China as a global power and its implications for the world.Apply Now
Inside Xi's China
In October 2017, at the 19th Party Congress, President Xi Jinping proclaimed that China had entered a new era. Xi’s stated objective in this era is to build a modern socialist country by the middle of the 21st century, with China as a global leader in terms of composite national strength and international influence.
What is Xi’s roadmap to achieve this goal? What are the drivers and the faultlines for achieving “national rejuvenation”? And what does all this mean for China’s neighbours and the international system at large?
Inside Xi's China is a four-week online course that seeks to answer these questions. The course design makes it accessible to and useful for a range of individuals, including professionals dealing with strategic affairs, journalists, students of political science and international affairs along with individuals working in China or with Chinese enterprises and even those who are simply interested to learn more about the country.Apply Now
- The Past as Present: History as a driver of Chinese policy
- The China Model - Part I (Chinese Political System)
- The China Model - Part II (The Chinese Economy)
- Grand Strategy & Chinese foreign policy
- China’s Approach to National Security
- Frictions & Social Order
- An understanding of Xi Jinping’s objective of national rejuvenation.
- Introduction to the historical factors that play a role in Chinese politics.
- Familiarity with the structural makeup of the Chinese Party-state.
- Introduction to elite politics and interests groups that drive public policy.
- Understanding of China’s foreign policy and national security objectives.
- Introduction to ethnic, religious and regional faultlines in China.
Inside Xi's China is designed and taught by Manoj Kewalramani, Associate Fellow, China Studies at The Takshashila Institution.
Prior to joining Takshashila, Manoj spent 11 years working as a journalist in India and China, where he also helped set up digital newsrooms and train young journalists. Manoj's work has been published by many media outlets, including NDTV, WION, Al-Jazeera, CGTN and The Diplomat.
Manoj's research interests include Chinese politics, foreign policy and approaches to new technologies. He also curates a weekly brief, Eye on China, which tracks developments in China from an Indian perspective.
Course Duration and Pedagogy
The duration of the course is from 27 August 2018 to 19 September 2018.
The course comprises a weekly list of readings and six thematic webinars spread over a period of four weeks.
- Three MCQs-based Quizzes
- Final Exam Essay
- The fees for this course is ₹8,000 + 18% GST. Takshashila alumni can take this course at a discounted price of ₹4,000 + 18% GST.
- The fee covers expenses for accessing Takshashila Institution’s Learning Management Suite, which includes curated readings, in-house frameworks and webinars.
For more information, please write to the following address with the subject line, "Special Course":